metamerism with Epson printers

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/09/03-10:46:05 AM Z

This is a rather specific bit of information but I thought a few of
you might be interested.

If you have owned or worked with an Epson 2000P printer you know that
one of the big issues is metamerism, i.e. the print will have a
different color depending on the viewing light. All printers that use
pigment inks suffer to some extent from metamerism and my
understanding is that the Epson 2200, which replaced the 2000P, does
not entirely eliminate the problem.

However, there is some relief for 2000P owners. Epson has a new
printer driver for the 2000P that is designed to minimize the effects
of metamerism. I recently downloaded it and have now made enough
prints with the new driver to be able to say that it does a very good
job in reducing metamerism. If you have an Epson 2000P I believe you
will find the new driver (actually it is several months old now) will
give you much better results than the original driver, especially if
your prints will be viewed under several different types of lighting.
You can download the driver at the Epson web site. Epson's
recommendations are that you don't use this driver unless you are
experiencing metamerism problems. But if you own a 2000P you are for
sure experiencing metamerism problems, unless of course you suffer
from some form of color blindness.

Anyway, if you were thinking of trading away your 2000P for a 2200
because you found the metamerism unacceptable you might want to
re-think the proposition since the archival qualities of prints from
the 2000P are in fact better than those from the 2200.

Sandy King