RE: Kitchen brewed gold chloride! Not!

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/11/03-02:59:04 AM Z

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Breukel, C. (HKG) wrote:

> On the protocol described by Liam: one works with an open container in a
> fume hood or in a well ventilated space (outside), and the aqua regia is
> gradually loosing is strength during the slow dissolving (at room
> temperature, do not heat it of course!) the gold. I had to add extra fresh
> aqua regia to get the gold soluted. Finally you neutralize the acid by
> slowly adding calcium carbonate to it. In short I am still convinced if you
> use your head (as these students below did NOT do), so you know what you do,
> the dangers are exaggerated IMHO. But this not for everybody for sure! (Btw
> how many people have excess to nitric and hydrochloric acid, pure anyway)
>
> Best,
>
> Cor

Cor, you're talking logic, don't bother... As far as danger is concerned,
I have got household ammonia and vinegar, also gasoline, and somewhere
some bombgrade peroxide... just think what I could do with them...

Meanwhile, research shows you're much safer playing with aqua regia than
you are crossing the street, smoking dope, lighting the stove, playing
with fire, driving and drinking, driving and talking on th cell phone,
driving next to an SUV, taking a bath, eating tuna fish, skate boarding,
riding a motorcycle... and getting drunk.... In fact I have never in all
my 93 years of life heard of anyone hurt by aqua regia, tho every day some
poor schnook crossing the street gets squashed... even little babies !!!

Of course whole families get wiped out almost weekly from heating their
homes or using electricity.... There really ought to be a law.

cheerio,

Judy