maco genius film

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 02/11/03-09:11:58 AM Z

     Well, I am pleasantly surprised. I printed the Maco genius film
yesterday in both cyanotype and argyrotype, and I have to say it is much
better than Bergger, unless you have nice contrast on the Bergger film. As
I said in my last post, I treated Maco about 2 stops slower than Bergger.
It says it is an ISO 50, but in the darkroom it is closer to a 25. It gets
incredible contrast in Dektol 1:1 without grain. I would do it next time in
more dilute dektol. Printing times are way shorter; the base is quite
clear--only about .1 on a densitometer. Plus it's ortho! It is about $2.50
a sheet in the US, $10 for a 16x20. From now on I think I will just do my
4x5's on cheapy Arista 125 film (42 cents a sheet) and then enlarge on this.
If you need a high DR for your processes, you'll get it on this film. I
wonder how it compares to Ilford ortho--anyone have any experience, or are
you all shooting 8x10 view cameras or something??
    I must be looking in all the wrong places but I cannot find any info on
the web about this film, except a tiny blurb on the Maco site. Cachet's
website is sort of hopeless. Anyone have more tips to share?
Chris
PS my "punchy" interpositives on TriX and Maco did much better than my not
so punchy interpositives on Bergger, FP4, and one other I can't remember,
but in talking with Tillman offlist, I think my definition of "punch" is not
too terrible-- if I remember correctly, he was saying highlights at least .5
to shadows of at most 1.9, with a range of .9-1.2, and my macos and trix's
are a DR range of 1.3. I've got a couple that are 1.6-1.7 and they've
worked although their negatives are more difficult to print.