Re: Ortho film enlargements..

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 02/11/03-02:06:53 PM Z

Hi:

I regularly use ortho/litho film as an in camera negative ( I use it for
large format pinhole cameras). Its possible to get a continous tone
negative from this kind of film provided that an apporpriate developer is
used.

Unfortunately there is no "appropriate" commercially available developer
made for doing producing continuous tone negs from high-contrast film

Dave Soemarko's LC-1 developer works well, although it results in a
tremendous loss of film speed. (effective ASA of 1) If your doing all
your work under an
enlarger this isn't an issue.

http://members.aol.com/fotodave/Articles/LC-1.html

Diluted print developers can work, although they are still fairly
contrasty. I've also read that highly diluted HC-110 works. Diluted
developers limit contrast by limiting the developer activity through
exhaustion.

The key is to use a developer with a very low pH to limit developer
activity. LC-1 does this.

I use the film in pinhole cameras so I tried to push the speed as much as
possible. I use my own ultra-low contast developer and also flash the
film. I can get a 12 -14 step negative and an ASA of ~12.

Gord

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, John Cremati wrote:

> I was reading a book called " High Contrast" by J. Sealy. He has
> examples of images enlarged on Ortho film that were exposed thru frosted
> glass at the enlargement surface... .. The images show much more detail as
> well as less contrast than the images that were printed conventionally..
> They resemble continuous tone images.. He claims that a true continuous tone
> image can not be made on lith film , but by various techniques such as
> preflashing the film, stand developing , fine line developer, and frosted
> glass printing the dot size of the ortho film becomes so small and precise
> that it closely resembles continuous tone.. ... Does anyone have any
> experience , opinions or theories on this?
>

> John Cremati

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2