Re: registration pins

From: Bob and Carla (bb333@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/12/03-10:43:59 AM Z

Gord,
   I think you mean, "Bergman" (sp) pin-register (probably on
Ebay...search for Bergman)...Yes they a standard in the photo world
(principally dye transfer...in fact, I have a pin-register contact
frame for dye transfer sold by Eastman Kodak with their name) but you
might also look at Stoesser, and others (3 pins at 4.5" steps), which
in the Graphic Arts industry (lithography, printing) are the standard
and most precision (3 pins are more precise than 2). Note also that
when using pins, they can be extended to outside of your glass or
mylar, to avoid the complications of the glass or mylar, by leaving
more material on that side, or by mounting the negative on punched
Mylar first (polyester is the (Kodak brand name...Mylar is the
original name of the product invented by DuPont) by vacuum.
     There are two components to all of the pin-register kits- the
punch, and the pins.
     The problem in making your own pins is getting the precision fit
that achieves the good registration...the fit is critical....in fact,
these high-grade stainless steel pins are regularly discarded when
their use causes enough wear to lose the precision.

Good luck!
Robert