Personal attacks

From: Richard Sullivan (richsul@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/13/03-12:13:28 PM Z

We now are seeing a messages directed at me with content like this:

>Why then didn't you spring to the ramparts when for the umpty-ninth time
>Sullivan came tearing back onto this list (after long silence) solely for
>the purpose of launching an attack on me?

>Possiblities:
>A. attacks on women don't count

I am perfectly happy for anyone to challenge my authority on this topic and
would be happy to indulge in a debate. I did not wish to start a flame war
and purposely declined further comment until the character assassination
began and now feel compelled to defend myself.

My statement was in keeping with the rules and ethics of the list as I
understand them. All I did was to correct Liam Lawless's post that said
that a tightly capped bottle of aqua regia was safe and to infer that the
tone of PF No 3 was in error. Though that post was 3 years old, it is still
in the archives and in people's minds. Had it been an issue other than
safety it should have perhaps properly lied buried.

According to the Industrial Hygene Association, Liam's statement does seem
to be in error. I happened to be on the site I referenced and saw the
warnings about two very serious explosions that could have been life
threatening. I am always researching safety issues relating to alt
photography and feel an obligation to pass them along if I feel they are
pertinent. I even have a papers called "gum green" and "platinum green" on
my web site. Safety and environmental concerns are not a passing fancy with me.

If in fact I scare someone from working with aqua regia at home, then I
have done a service. Those with the skill, talent, knowledge, and
facilities, like Bob Schramm, will not be deterred by my warnings if they
wish to pursue it.

I have not called anyone "grudging" or anything words remotely attacking a
person's motives or ethics. If in fact the Industrial Hygene Association is
wrong about the safety of aqua regia then that should be the topic of
conversation. One should not post a list of character assassinating
"possibilities" to challenge my motive. Unless one has a special seat
inside my mind, this is totally inappropriate.

I believe I can say without reservation that over the last 25 years I have
had more experience working with aqua regia than anyone else on this list.
I can also assure you that in even small quantities of it are unstable and
can act in unpredictable ways. Because one has worked with it safely a few
times does not mean it is safe. I have seen it violently erupt in a beaker
in both small 50 ml, and larger quantities, spraying hot aqua regia and
voluminous fumes of which nitric oxides (not nitrous!) are a large
component. I have seen it explode in containers (storing in containers has
not been done for over 20 years) with devastating results. I suspect it is
set off by small amounts of contamination, something likely in a home brew
environment. Nitric oxide gas is more poisonous than the cyanide gas used
in a gas chamber! Even small quantities can scar the lungs and might lead
to emphysema.

As many here can attest to I have been a champion of home brew photography
for better than 25 years. I am not chemophobic as proposed, nor do I pander
to such notions and have helped countless people make various chemicals
needed in alt photo processes. I bemoan the fact that ordinary people
cannot get mercuric chloride, cyanide, or chlorates anymore.

I have kept a low profile on the list because a certain person, if
challenged on their ideas and statements, like to attack me personally or
question my motives, or even bring up some weird ideas that what I have
said has something to do with attacking women! To me this is particularly
odious!

Hiding behind the word "possibility." Just possible, just possible! is the
inference.

I ask, who is attacking whom?

It seems on close reading that in no way did I attack any person in the
message in question. If in fact challenging ones statements as being
incorrect are personal attacks then I have landed on the wrong planet. I
thought that was the purpose of the list to have a spirited discussion on
topic related to alt-photo.

As far as I know, Liam and I are still on good terms, as I still believe he
does not feel that a disagreement over this issue is a personal "attack"
nor do I believe any part of his character is diminished by it. Sheese! If
everyone if the field of science took it personally when their statements
were disagreed with we'd have a real problem.

And yes I do run a profit making business, Bostick & Sullivan, with no
apologies.

If one was to go to the discussion group I run at:

http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/%7Ebostick/login

you will find no advertising there, no banner ads, no B+S promotion other
than an occasional reference that I might make in a message in regards to a
topic where the reference is pertinent. Many who participate there are not
even aware of the host organization. It does have the email addresses of
participants and as many here can attest to, it has not sold, or used to
promote any thing other than APIS events and PhotoArts Santa Fe which is a
non-for-profit community effort of which Melody and I founded and of which
Melody is the unpaid Director and I sit on the board, put in countless
hours helping organize, and of which we receive no compensation for.

If one looks at:

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com

One will find a wealth of alt-photo information, very little of which is
promotional in nature. Yes you can order products on-line but that seems to
be appropriate for a commercial firm.

I thought it was acceptable to promote what is actually the world's largest
gathering of alt photo workers -- the 5th internnational APIS. Anyone who
has run conferences can attest to the fact that running a professional
seminar series for 3 days, including a catered reception at $66.00 per day
per person is not making one rich, quite the contrary! It is always a
sellout and we could in fact charge double or triple the fee.

I am currently hard at work developing some new (old actually!) alt photo
products to re-introduce to the market in the near future.

If, in fact, the list managers here feel that APIS announcements and new
product announcements are inappropriate then please say so and I will not
post such information.

If, also in fact, critical issues of safety on processes discussed here are
not appropriate, then please also inform.

If, in fact, it is inappropriate to disagree with someone's previous
statement, please inform of that also.

If I have inadvertently made any attacks on anyone's character, please note
it and I will publicly apologize.

-- Richard S. Sullivan HonFRPS