Polyvinyl Alcohol

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 02/13/03-05:43:50 PM Z

Hi list,

In past posts, there was the mention of using polyvinyl alcohol to keep the
sensitizer from sinking too deep into the paper fibers before drying. I
tried City Chemical and they had it listed at three viscosities; each 500 gm
for 19.25. Needing 2 chemicals that are hazmat, they were more than happy to
ship it to me but were going to charge 150.00 shipping on a 125.00 order; so
I declined. Contacting Photographer's Formulary to get price and
availability, I was told they no longer list it. Does anyone know of an
inexpensive source for it? Which viscosity should I order; low, medium, or
high?

Looking in City Chemical and Photo Formulary's 2000 catalog, I saw they
listed it as being sold by the gram. I had assumed that it was a liquid and
the dry amount was simply a typo. If it is sold by dry wieght, how is it
prepared?

Any help would be appreciated,

Scott Wainer
smwbmp@starpower.net

P.S.
I also saw a listing for Tween 20 (polysorbate 20) in City Chemical's
catalog for 11.75 for 500 ml. The only other place I saw it listed was on
the B&S website as a 10% solution. Is the City Chemical listing a 100%
solution and how would you dilute it (with water)? Is it worth the bother of
using it with kallitypes, cyanotypes, ect...?