Re: Kallitypes

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/05/03-08:44:55 AM Z

Scott,

The black granular residue you see in the bottom of the tray after
development is soluble iron that was cleared from the print during
development. You will want to filter this before using the developer
again as an accumulation of iron in the developer will make clearing
the print more difficult. Sodium acetate is a developer that clears
the print very well when you first use it but I have the impression
that it does not hold up as well for re-use as sodium and ammonium
citrate. I may be wrong about this since I really have a lot more
experience with the citrates but the few times I have used sodium
acetate it appeared to me that it did not have as much staying power.

No idea about the "fluffy carbon balls."

Also, no experience in bleaching and re-developing in sepia. Sounds
interesting though so if you do it let us know the results.

Gold toning alone gives a very beautiful and distinctive
purple/blue/black color. However, it is very important to clear the
print completely before toning in gold, and was it for a few minutes,
as it will combine with any remaining silver salts in the paper and
cause a stain in the areas that were brushed with sensitizer.

Sandy King