RE: Pt IV to Pt II

From: Monnoyer Philippe (monnoyer@imec.be)
Date: 02/14/03-09:42:34 AM Z

Hi Jack,

you say:
"but, I wonder why the great stain using the permanganate bleach vs the dichromate."

Well, the reason is that potassium permanganate, when it bleaches, meaning when it oxydises, or when it is getting reduced, turns into manganese dioxyde, a dark brown non-soluble powder that stays in the fibers etc.

On the other hand, dichromate does not produce such a reduced dark molecule, and moreover, the reduced form of dichromate is still soluble and remains dissolved in water. That's why nothing stays in the paper.

I personnaly would tend to use non-toxic bleaches based on other formulations.

Cheers,

Philippe