Re: salt print questions

From: Sandy King (sanking@clemson.edu)
Date: 02/14/03-06:29:29 PM Z

Chris,

I am far from an expert on this but do will nonethess offer some
comments as a starting point.

>For all you salt print aficionados:
>
>1. Is ossein gelatin better in any way than Knox?

Not any difference that I can detect.

>2. Do those of you who do this process use a 5% or 10% fixing bath? One or
>two baths?

I use a 5% solution, with two baths.

>3. Do you overexpose it 2 stops to account for lightening in the
>fixing/washing steps, or more (this equals 4 steps on a Stouffer's,
>correct)?

Yes, the print out image must be overexposed. Exactly how much you
will have to determine for yourself.

>4. Does a gelatin/salt coating produce warmer or colder tones? Reilly says
>warmer/redder but it seems other sources say colder.

To what are you comparing the gelatin/salt combination?

>5. Anyone use a regular Edwards light box with salt? Is it too slow?

Direct sun will work much better with salted paper. For this process
to work well you need a very stout and contrasty negative. Exposures
with a BL bank will be incredibly long with this kind of negative. An
exposure that might take 10 minutes in the sun could run more than 2
hours with the BL tubes.

>6. Anyone try printing toward the sun with tissue paper diffusion to
>increase contrast? Why technically does the sun produce the lowest
>contrast--caillier effect?

Who told you that the sun produces the lowest contrast? If the
comparison is BL tubes my experience is the opposite.

Sandy