Re: salt print questions

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 02/14/03-07:53:56 PM Z

Hi Chris,

Sandy nailed this pretty much. But I do have a couple of things to add.

One more thing... Hi Sandy...long time no talk.

Chris,

> >For all you salt print aficionados:
> >
> >1. Is ossein gelatin better in any way than Knox?

No, there is no difference at all. In fact with some of the modern harder
papers, a gelatine coat is not needed.

> >2. Do those of you who do this process use a 5% or 10% fixing bath? One
or two baths?

5% is the the one. Any stronger and you can bleach the print. Also, it is
strongly recommended that you use sodium thiosulfate (plain old hypo) and no
ammonium thiosulfate as found in most modern or rapid fixers.

3. Do you overexpose it 2 stops to account for lightening in the
fixing/washing steps, or more (this equals 4 steps on a Stouffer's,
   correct)?

That's right, but it will vary somewhat depending on negative range, paper
and the phase of the moon.

>> 4. Does a gelatin/salt coating produce warmer or colder tones? Reilly
says warmer/redder but it seems other sources say >>colder.

I have messed with statement by Rielly this for a long time. My opinion
(sticking my neck out some here) is that the papers were much different when
Mr. Reilly was writing his book. Many of the papers that Reilly used were
different than what we have today. The actual image of an untoned salted
paper print is usually a nasty brick red after fixing. You can spend a good
deal of time chasing your tail trying to get what Reilly says exactly. If
you want a brown print, tone it. If you want a neutral to cold tone print,
tone it.

> >5. Anyone use a regular Edwards light box with salt? Is it too slow?

Yep, all the time. I have two home made boxes, the small is a bank of 12
40W tubes. I can get a print up in about 8-15 minutes. I have had problems
with bronzing with various papers here in Tucson, AZ during the summer.

6. Anyone try printing toward the sun with tissue paper diffusion to
increase contrast? Why technically does the sun produce
    the lowest contrast--caillier effect?

 No that is not true. The sun gives the better contrast. Why would a
tissue paper diffuser give you more contrast? I would think all that is
happening is that your dropping out the middle values and making the
highlights harder to reach. Some people believe this to be "more contrast"
when in fact, you are just producing a mud and chalk print.

Joe Portale
Tucson, AZ