RE: Silver Gelatin...and alternativephotography.com?

From: Robert W. Schramm (schrammrus@hotmail.com)
Date: 02/17/03-07:18:14 PM Z

Might as well get my 2 cents in. As I understand it the alternative process movement (school?) began as a result of attempts by fine art photographers to get away from the look of silver gelatin based photography which used commercial papers , film and chemicals.

I think Judy came pretty close to defining it by chosing the title "Post Factory" for her journal because a lot of alternative processes use silver and gelatin.

In my view, alternative processes printing is anything you do so that the end result does not look like a straight black and white or chromogenic print made on commercial paper.  A good example might be lith prints which are made on silver/gel commercial paper but by means of a process that is anything but a standard method of processing. Also the look of a lith print is certainly different.

Trying to define what an althernative print is can be very difficult but its fairly easy to define what an alternative print is not. ;-)

Bob Schramm

Check out my web page at:
http://www.SchrammStudio.com