Re: Bleaches

FOTAR2@aol.com
Date: 02/17/03-08:31:10 PM Z

Richard,
    One of the problems that I've always had with reversal deveopment is that
I never seem to get completely rid of the yellowish/greenish/brownish stain
left over from, I presume, the dichromate bleach, I've tried clearing baths
other than just the sulfite with not too much success. I tried the
permanganate bleach long enough ago that I've forgotten the results, but
obviously they weren't encouraging. Naturally, there is always the odd time
when everything comes out just right with no apparent change in technique. I
think they (the great they) do that just to make us even crazier. Do you have
any insight as to what might solve this problem?
    One of the reasons that I pursued reversal processing in the first place
is that theory says that the more sensitive (and larger) film grains which
develop first, are then removed in the bleach leaving the finer half of the
silver bell curve to create the finished transparency. I would have to say
that my observations tend to bear this out, and make it tantalizingly worth
doing, especially with 35mm, and 4x5 can be extraordinary. They also bear out
the fact that you have to be about as careful as is if you were exposing
color transparency film if you want consistant results. Thoughts?

Bob