Re: Scanner woes

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/18/03-05:34:07 AM Z

I think it is a software problem. None of the scanner manufacturers seems
to understand how to scan negatives - its a problem I've seen with Nikon,
Canon, Minolta etc.

You can get round this by scanning negatives as slides, and doing a lot of
fiddling, but the easiest way is to use Ed Hamrick's Vuescan software,
which supports most scanners. You can download this and try it for free,
though you will get scans with a pattern across them, but you can see if
it works. You prescan, then adjust the exposure and black and white points
to get the histogram correct before you scan.

It took me about 5 minutes to decide it was worth sending Ed the money,
though some people find the interface a little offputting. The software
gets upgraded and bugs fixed on a very regular basis, so make sure you go
to his site and d/l the latest version.

http://www.hamrick.com

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/