DUMB QUESTIONS #107 & 108

From: Bob Kiss (bobkiss@caribsurf.com)
Date: 02/19/03-08:27:08 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
    I have been getting great results processing my Pt/Pd prints in Ammonium
Citrate and I want to continue with the same results for a show where the
deadline is looming. I am running short on Am Cit developer (I top up the
volume at the end of each printing session). We have many things here in
B'dos but I cannot seem to find Ammonium Citrate and it is either expensive
or a long wait to ship it in.
Dumb Q #107: Is it possible to titrate clear ammonia from the grocery store
(no soap or anything else in it, just ammonia and water) with citric acid
until my blue litmus paper turns just red? Won't this give me ammonium
citrate with just the slight acidity that Pt/Pd likes? Is the store bought
ammonia too weak? Will this cause heating, boiling, toxic gasses, and other
nasty results?
Dumb Q #108: I can get Sodium Citrate which I know is another Pt/Pd
developer but I believe it will yield different tones and I don't want to
change horses in mid stream. If I cannot do #107 above, is there anything I
can add to Sodium Citrate (I can get Ammonium Carbonate) to produce Ammonium
Citrate? I was worried that Sodium Citrate plus Ammonium Carbonate would
yield Ammonium Citrate plus Sodium Carbonate but that the Sodium Carbonate
would leave the solution too alkaline to be a good Pt/Pd developer.
****Please give me suggested volumes and masses of the ingredients. Please
consider that it will be a 30 km drive here in Barbados to the nearest pH
meter.
    So I am hoping that I can rough it suggested amounts and litmus paper.
                        CHEERS!
                                BOB

Please check out my website:
www.bobkiss.com