Re: Re: Aqua Regia & safey

From: Linas Kudzma (lkudzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 02/20/03-11:41:51 AM Z

Gordon,

In you post you said:

"At this point anyone going through the archive looking for information on aqua regia and gold chloride will get the left with the impression that some people think its dangerous and some people think its not."

I am a research chemist and can categorically say that anyone who thinks that aqua regia is "not dangerous" should not be let near any chemicals. Aqua regia should be prepared freshly, treated with respect, and NOT stored. Period.

As far as chemical warnings on this list, they should not be discouraged. Even relatively experienced workers need to be reminded not to be cavalier with certain chemicals we alt printers use. Chromium and Mercury compounds, strong oxidizers and acids are dangerous. I'm a very experienced professional chemist and would personally not use many such chemicals outside of a laboratory and fume hood. On the other hand, we should strive for prudent warnings/reminders and not hysteria.

Linas Kudzma
lkudzma@earthlink.net