Re: Aqua Regia & safey

From: Bernhard Wittek (bw@infosolutions.de)
Date: 02/21/03-02:04:39 AM Z

Judy,

> As noted, I think the attempt to make a hierarchy of danger is futile.
> There's also the fact, as I noted in 1999,that folks may actually be more
> careful with the officially XTREME chemicals than they are with "everyday"
> stuff like silver nitrate and dichromate.

I agree. Stuff like dichromate might even be much more dangerous to your health than a. regia if handled too sloppy. Its due to those nasty "creeping effects" over a long time of exposition to come with. Concentrated acids like a. regia are of course dangerous, too. There is a "sudden danger" with it but even a. regia won īt hurt you if handled properly. Each person dealing with chemicals should know for himself what he is doing.

That is for me - never! eat and drink while working, always wearing eye protection, using proper clothing and equipment (one should know that nitric acid components are able to corrode rubber gloves), seperate room (open window) for the dirt work, trying to keep a strict cleanliness, first aid kit, eye showers and fire extinguisher within reach and last not least - I never handle chemicals which are of a immediate danger while alone at home..... I am doing this for about 10 years now and never! ran into trouble. People who might have access to a univertity or professional lab should of course consider to go (for whatever can be done) there.

So I think, like Gordon suggested, setting up some safety guidelines for the chemicals normally used and to provide or distribute them would be fine.

Cheers
Bernhard