Re: Bleaches

From: pete (temperaprint@blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 02/21/03-08:49:23 PM Z

Jack,

The simple answer to your query is I just donšt know. I have tried
5% of acetic acid with little effect but this a weak acid in comparison to
sulphuric and I have not tried muriatic.

However I know that a 5% sol of hydroxide will also do the trick. Some
more scientific experimentation needs to be done. It may be that the strong
acid or alkali softens the tanned colloid allowing the oxidation by products
to leach out and desolve into the water solvent. all I am certain of is a
1% solution of sulphuric acid has neutralised the
yellowish/greenish/brownish stain in my TemperaPrint very effectively for
the past ten years with no apparent side effect.

Pete

--http://www.books.i12.com/parlour/index.html
  http://www.books.i12.com/parlour/tempera.html
  http://sirius.secureforum.com:8080/~bostick/login