Re: the safey

From: Bernhard Wittek (bw@infosolutions.de)
Date: 02/22/03-09:22:34 AM Z

Judy,

> I also found Bernhard's comments intriguing... I want to know, for one
> thing, WHICH chemicals he considers "of immediate danger" -- how and
> why... He sounds like he's thought a lot about it... and even if we
> disagree, his rules could be a sort of benchmark... or possibly extreme???
> At least something specific in a sea of *belief.* I don't think details of
> this or that process or procedure (even pyrocat) are more important.

please donīt expect me to wear a space suit inside my darkroom ;-) "immediate danger" means to me handling of chemicals where any impact or respiration will be fatal immediately and you then might be more than grateful about two more helping hands. For instance while dealing with concentrated acids, ammonia solution, peroxide and of course if working with aqua regia or its components. But my intention was not to be benchmarked here, I just wanted to say this works for me. I guess most of us wonīt be handling concentrated acids at all, but apart of that, one can make mistakes, so being prepared ainīt wrong, as we say here "Discretion is the better part of valor".

Cheers
Bernhard