Re: the safey

From: Gordon J. Holtslander (holtsg@duke.usask.ca)
Date: 02/22/03-05:28:17 PM Z

I am proposing creating guides to specific practices.

One of the main reasons that safety data for individual chemicals appears
outrageous is that it usually attempts to cover the safety risks of
reactions to every other chemical and situation likely to occur.

We deal with a limited number of chemicals at a time in specifc
situations.

What I am considering is producing safety guidelines to specfic practices
that we do.

A safety guide for each of the common processes should be doable. There
are a limited number of chemicals that are used in specific ways for each
process. We should be able to identify the hazards and the appropriate
practices to minimize these hazards for each process.

I would like to see a safety guide to each of the popular processes.

I think this could be done collaboratively as well. While one person is
unlikely to be aware of_all_ the hazards for a process, "the list" has a
good chance of identifying most, maybe even all of the hazards of each
process.

Gord

Gordon J. Holtslander Dept. of Biology
holtsg@duke.usask.ca 112 Science Place
http://duke.usask.ca/~holtsg University of Saskatchewan
Tel (306) 966-4433 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Fax (306) 966-4461 Canada S7N 5E2