Re: Julia Margret Cameron/ was the Safety

ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: 02/22/03-05:06:23 PM Z

JMC's active life in photography lasted 15 years (1864-1878), not 10. She lived to be 63, not a bad run for the 19th C. Gernsheim says she died after getting a "chill" in the mountains of Ceylon. There is no indication, as far as we know, that photo chemicals played any part in her demise.
  We don't even know for sure if exposure to photo chemistry played a part in Edward Weston Parkinson's disease, as is so widely claimed by so many. Funny how these stories get started. And guess what, there are lots of people with Parkinson's who have never stuck a finger in Dektol or inhaled Hypo fumes.
   Hypo-Clear, or Perma-Wash, is another chemical that gets a bad rap word-of-mouth, even though the book says it's harmless. It might be that we run a far greater risk driving to the photo supply store than in using those products.
  But I do use thick rubber gloves (Bluetts) when working in the dark room, and those rooms have lots of low suction vents over the chemistry.
Arthur