Re: the safey ( out of context )

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 02/23/03-03:03:02 PM Z

Katherine:
I'm the dufus who made the tonque-i- cheek jest about red wine. Of
course you are correct - it's the dosage that matters. But my point is
there seems to be precious little 'middle ground' between hysterical
fear of anything 'chemical' and blithe disregard of everything [e.g. "I
used to play with mercury when I was a kid, and it didn't hurt me a
bit."]. Dick Arentz uses the phrase 'reasonable and prudent use' to
describe the frame of mind that we all probably should maintain in our
photographic practice.

And while we're talking about medicine and dosages and so forth, it is
also prudent to keep in mind that personal genetics will play a large
role in how susceptible people may be to certain chemicals. Just think
about poison ivy: some people (like my father) could roll in the stuff
with nary a problem, while if I look at it cross-ways, I get a rash(
like my mother). I think metol sensitivity may fall in the same
category of chemical irritants. Some are affected, some aren't.

But I still like red wine.

Clay