Re: the safey ( out of context )

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/23/03-04:00:07 PM Z

> Acetic acid
> may be one of the less reactive of the acids, but just because in
> diluted form we can eat it on fish and chips, doesn't mean that glacial
> acetic acid is as safe to handle or drink as household vinegar.

Katherine,

You are absolutely right. I suffered from an acetic acid burn as a
postgrad student when a flask broke. Where the hot concentrated acid hit
flesh it burnt extremely rapidly and painfully, and my left hand was in
bandages for several months. Fortunately liberal douching of my clothing
with water saved damage elsewhere.

One of my acquaintances was a photography student in the 1950s. She
occasionally goes through the whole list of the people who taught her
practical photography recounting how they all died young - which she
attributes to their lack of any concern for safety in handling normal
photo chemicals.

Throughout my teaching of photography I've always tried to educate
students in sensible handling of chemicals. It is even more necessary with
the materials used in alternative processes.

With the chips of course it is the fat which is more likely to be fatal
than the vinegar.

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com