OT: people in images, rights & releases?

From: Dwayne Sandall (sandall@shaw.ca)
Date: 02/23/03-06:47:59 PM Z

Hi all,

Although this isn't exactly an alt-issue, (the final prints will be!)
I thought I'd at least toss the question out and see what opinions I
get. Here is the scenario: I am considering a series of images that I
will take on the streets, mostly at night. I have no intention of
selling these images as stock or to an ad agency et al, which I know
for sure that for any recognizable person I would need a model
release.

What are the rules, ethical and legal, of having (or more likely, not
having) model releases if the images will be at best displayed at a
local coffee shop or maybe a generous friend will pay me a few
dollars for one :-)

I recall a discussion quite a while ago about street photography, and
I don't know if this issue was discussed there or not? I don't have
copies of those messages, but perhaps there are some points mentioned
there that would be relevant?

 From a purely legal perspective, if this matters, I live in Canada,
and most of the images will most likely be taken in Canada, although
some might come from any, as of yet, unplanned trips to the US.

And just to add some confusion to this, how do property rights work
in the context? what about public art? (both sanctioned and not, such
as graffiti?).

Thanks again for any input, and sorry if this is too off topic,

Dwayne