Re: OT: people in images, rights & releases?

From: Alan Bucknam (alan@notchcode.com)
Date: 02/23/03-11:27:50 PM Z

Reminds me of the story I heard in my 19th-century photo-history class
about how roving gangs of men would pounce on photographers who were
taking photographs of innocent ladies in Central park in the late
1800's, claiming the aforementioned shutter-bugs were violating the
ladies' privacy. Well-intentioned, but in today's ethical universe, a
bit over-reactive (insert photochemical safety-related pun here).

I believe the latest thought on the matter is that if you're walking
around in a public space, you shouldn't have a reasonable expectation
of privacy, and people may at any time be taking your picture. In your
house is another matter, at least until the Department of Homeland
Security changes that.....

Buildings (at least the outsides of them) are in the public domain, and
I beleive you can shoot away, to your heart's content). However there
may be some good legal reason that location managers for movie
productions get property releases for buildings featured prominently in
their films. Could be an "art versus commerce" distinction....

Public art is another matter, as the art in question is covered by (US
or International) copyright law....I think if you take a photograph of
a sculpture and then sell the photograph of aforementioned sculpture,
the law says you probably need permission from the copyright-holder
(which may or may not be the original artist, of course).

I realize none of this has been particularly clarifying, but hopefully
it moves the conversation in the right direction. That is to say, not
to the Right, but rather Forward.

cheers,
-Alan Bucknam