Re: the safey ( out of context )

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 02/24/03-06:35:44 AM Z

pete wrote:

> Peter & Katherine,
>
> You are putting words in my mouth I never said this, in fact why do you
> think I put (out of context) in the subject heading, it was just a little
> joke ! I was under the impression that I was communicating with a
> Photoalternative group consisting of adults knowledgable in safety issues.

Hi Pete,
The problem is that there are a lot of new people here who are not
necessarily as knowledgeable in safety issues as the old hands, and we
can't assume any more that all alt-photo practitioners are aware of
issues regarding safe handling of chemicals. Beyond that, I was clear to
say at the outset that my comments were general and weren't directed at
you or your jest specifically, and I did refer to it as a jest. If the
shoe doesn't fit, why put it on? I just used your post as a handy
springboard to launch my general comment, which wasn't aimed at you but
was intended for those who might not be clear on the point. I used to
listen to Car Talk a lot, and would get frustrated because they were
always joking about stuff and I couldn't tell which things were jokes
and which things were serious advice. Is it really a bad thing to shift
while you're turning, for example, or was that a joke? All I know is
that I've driven 225,000 miles on the original clutch, so I guess I
can't have hurt it too much by shifting while turning, if it's true that
that's a bad practice, but I still would kind of like to know whether
that was a piece of useful information or if they just said it as a joke
and assumed everyone would know it was a joke. My comments were intended
to help folks who might be confused on the general point in the same
way, that's all. I wish the car guys had had an interpreter who would
come after and say, yes, this is real advice, no, that was just a joke,
to help us automotively challenged folks out a bit.
kt