Re: Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47

From: Scott Wainer (smwbmp@starpower.net)
Date: 02/24/03-05:45:04 PM Z

Re: Kallitypes - Photo-Minature 47Hi Sandy,

  I should add that I took Stevens at his word regarding the level of difficulty in getting an even coating with a colloid added to the sensitizer and must confess that I have personally never tested the concept. His book is not a very good manual for making kallitypes but I have a great deal of respect for the methodology and exhaustiveness of his testing procedures so trusted his results on this.

  One question. Did you make comparison prints to see if the addition of the the small amount of gum arabic made any difference in the final appearance of the image? I am not certain if you attribute the richer chocolate color to the use of gum arabic or to the use of GP-1 toning prior to fixing.

Please take what I say with a grain of salt. I do not have any great experience with kallitypes and was not doubting what Stevens said or his testing but I quite often find that what does or doesn't work for one person is the exact opposite for me; and vice-versa.

Yes, I did do a comparison - though I admit that my tests were not very exact (more subjective than not). I printed the same negatives on both Stonehenge and Coventry Rag with and without the gum arabic. Chemistry and process remained the same; as did the toner. I did find that the sensitizer with the gum arabic was a bit slower - about 10% - and I had to increase the exposure to get the same amount of detail in each print.

Looking at contrasting highlight and shadow areas, I do find a softening and slight blueing of the edges but it seems to blend well with the image content (Eastern State Penitentary in Philadelphia). That might be what Stevens was talking about in reference to apparent sharpness but it works well for my intentions. The contrast also seems slightly greater with the gum than without but may be attributed to the length of exposure (I really should get in the habit of including a step wedge).

The color difference I would have to attribute to the gum arabic. The prints without seem less substantial and a little anemic though I think more tests are needed; trying to judge from three sets of prints leaves a lot of room to play.

Here is the post I was refering to about the sepia toner: