Re: fresson printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/24/03-09:01:43 PM Z

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, Jan Arnow wrote:

> Hello, alt photo list,
>
> I did, indeed, include a chapter on Fresson printing in my book,
> Handbook of Alternative Protographic Processes, which was published
> in 1982. Can't believe it was that long ago! Anyway, I'll be happy
> to scan those pages and e-mail them to anyone who wants them. Just

Wow, Jan -- so nice to hear your voice -- and I've got a burning question:
When mention of Fresson in a recent book came up, I pretty much figured it
had to be you. The other book mentioned had a lot of really good work that
I loved, but the processes were much more of THAT moment... Like inkodye,
and so forth. Yours were the classics, or many of them.

So anyway, I got out your book again, and truthfully, it looks better than
ever. But now that I've flattered you.... here's my "question." That
"Fresson" formula that you give, is like no other I've ever seen in print.
Or rather I've seen similar, but as powder or dusting on process... You
say you got it from Paul Anderson's notes -- were they ever published? I
don't recall them... I checked his "Pictorialism" book, the only one of
his I have, and though he has a chapter on "Fresson," it assumes you buy
the prepared paper...

And so did all the others of that period I had on hand... The only
formula I found for making your OWN "Fresson" PAPER was in the 10th, and
15th through 17th editions of the Dictionary of Photography (well, OK they
were what I could find around the house) and L. P. Clerc... Those formulas
had no sugar, honey, etc. but had a LOT of albumen. Like 100 parts to
whatever else ! (They all make me want to try them.)

So I THEORIZE that Anderson was WORKING on a replacement for the prepared
paper, which maybe was going off the market... (Jordan says it used to be
sold from a source right near here -- in Jamaica, NY ! )

Every source says it was the Artique process under another name. There was
a lot more, VERY interesting, which I'll add when I have the DoP's in
hand... but I was so curious about the Anderson formula, couldn't wait to
ask !

And PS to list -- the work in Jan's book is very inspiring... still. If
you can't get the book, look for it at the library.

cheers,

Judy