Re: gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 02/24/03-08:28:37 PM Z

Shoot; OK, this is the quote:
 "The clearing step is intended to remove dichromate residue, not hardened
gum, but as a matter of fact sodium bisulfite does soften the hardened gum,
too. The "various sulfites and sulfates" which clear dichromate stains have
different qualities, being different compounds, and while they may be
roughly interchangeable for the purpose of clearing dichromate stains, they
are not interchangeable in all respects. Sodium bisulfite, by many accounts,
is the strongest and most likely to soften and lift the hardened gum, which
is why I recommended it for gum removal, and why something like potassium
metabisulfite, which removes dichromate stains but isn't so likely to
disturb the hardened gum, would not be useful removing hardened gum. Sodium
bisulfite, having rather strong fumes, should be used outside or in a
well-ventilated area."