Re: gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 02/24/03-09:00:23 PM Z

> Chris, I rarely bet less than a million dollars, but reading Hirsch's
> comments about gum printing, I'd bet he never made a gum print -- or let's
> say he should have done some research first.

Hirsch's book was not terribly informative, I have to admit, on the subject
of gum.

> But if you've got Livick's book -- doesn't he say he sprays on the
> emulsion? That's my sort of vague but sort of recollection.
> Judy

I would think he does, as he goes into both methods in the book but must
have the set up (complex) to spray.
     This is what I learned from Livick: he uses 100 (not 133 or 150) line
screen separation lith negs (is this the same as an imagesetter neg?) with
just the CMY (no K). He says move the shadows to the midtones, keep the
highlights open and printable and add 10% dot to the shadow, whatever that
means. He does NOT recommend UV black lights as they give low contrast soft
images with gum (I have an Edwards UV BL box....). He, get this, to clear,
SPRAYS the meta bi onto the print's front instead of soaking as an
alternative. This has possibilities.
chris