Re: gum printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/24/03-08:13:56 PM Z

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Christina Z. Anderson wrote:

> ... spray starch as per
> Hirsch (I heard it yellows) and cannot believe that Livick actually brushes
> his sizing on, too. That'd save a heck of a lot of time.

Chris, I rarely bet less than a million dollars, but reading Hirsch's
comments about gum printing, I'd bet he never made a gum print -- or let's
say he should have done some research first. For instance, he says you
can't get a true blue with gum because the dichromate stains it, & that
"gum does not deliver a realistic color balance" (whatever that's supposed
to mean). And so forth. Of course even maven gum printers disagree -- for
instance Julian Smart says he "previsualizes" gum -- I tend to work ad
hoc, letting the process/results guide me. That's probably as much
personality as the medium-- I find gum more generous when I let in the
surprises.

But if you've got Livick's book -- doesn't he say he sprays on the
emulsion? That's my sort of vague but sort of recollection.

Judy