Re: gum printing

From: Bernhard Wittek (bw@infosolutions.de)
Date: 02/25/03-12:12:58 PM Z

Hi folks,

> I can be added to the gummer practitioner list. I've only been doing it for

yes, me too. Although I am not practicing it regularly I find it a very exiting process due to its most variable room for manipulations. Sizing is done with some acrylic dispersion called K6 which I do apply in two, sometimes three layers. I am using natural pigments most of the time like lamp black or mineral sienna, ocher, sometimes iron oxide pigments like caput mortuum. Staining among these I found is low and they should be pretty durable. I also tried synthetic pigments but was not very happy with them. BTW, I obtain pigments and some other stuff from "Kremer Pigments". Those guys are 20 car minutes away from where I live, so I can walk in, have a look, buy some or not and get my questions answered. They got a US branch, too, so I wonder if anybody on the list knows them: http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/englisch/homee.htm
I am sensitizing with am di to get higher speed. But sooner or later, when I ran out of stock, I probably will fall back to potassium di, it is much cheaper here and more easy to obtain. I normally print three layers of gum (highlight, midtone and shadow) but sometimes run into pretty big trouble with registering accuracy, although I am used to prepare paper sheets with a plenty of hot water. The paper is "Tetone Fine Paper", normally used for high end offset printing (paper weight is around 130g/m2). Maybe I should swap to Arches or BFK Rives, as often mentioned here before. Clearing is done with sodium sulfite solution. I never tried to use light colors on dark paper, that is what I would have considered to work better in carbon printing than in gum printing. I am pretty happy with my results so far.

Cheers
Bernhard