Re: gum printing

From: Bernhard Wittek (bw@infosolutions.de)
Date: 02/25/03-06:02:01 PM Z

Gord,

That K6 is an acrylic dispersion and normally used as a binder component for outdoor house paint. I use one part diluted with 5 parts of water and apply it with a soft brush to the paper . The next layer (up to three) is done when the previous has dried up. It gives a very smooth paper surface by "sealing" the paper felt. The surface looks a bit glossy afterwards, like having been sized with gelatine for instance but it still feels "like paper" when you rub it between your fingers. Applying more than three layers of the sizing agent didīt bring any advantage, Iīve noticed.

At http://www.infosolutions.de/church.html is a sample of a 5x7 contact print I made about 6 month ago, three layers, with natural pigments sienna, caput mortuum and lamp black, the paper was sized with K6 1:5 three times. There are more details on the original print (like the structure of the bricks in the churchwall for instance) than can be seen on the scan.

The manufacturer (or distributor) of "K6" put some information to the web as well: http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/intl.catalog/75300e.htm

Cheers
Bernhard