Re: gum printing

From: Hamish Stewart (hamish@gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk)
Date: 02/25/03-07:13:18 PM Z

On 25/2/03 15:47, "Lisa Reddig" <lisa@julianrichards.com> wrote:

> Oh and one Question of my own: Does sizing do anything other than keep the
> paper from expanding and contracting during the multiple printings, so you
> can keep the negative registered properly? Or does it do something else?

Sizing reduces the level of pigment staining that arises with multiple
printing. Years ago I recall papers that required no additional sizing, and
there are perhaps a few that can still be used like this today, but if you
want to be able to repeat your results and get a good clean out of the
highlights I would recommend sizing. I use 1 coat gelatin with hardener.

The expansion and contraction issues are another matter which will be
assisted by pre-shrinking the paper.

Hamish Stewart - Gum Bichromate Photographer - visit
<http://www.gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>
for gum bichromate images, technical information and links to recommended
resources on alternative photographic processes.
mailto:<hamish@gumphoto.fsnet.co.uk>