Re: gum printing

From: Christina Z. Anderson (zphoto@montana.net)
Date: 02/25/03-10:48:51 PM Z

> You haven't seen weak until you're tried Rowney Permanent Rose... It's
> also a quinacridone, but I find it almost impossible to use enough to get
> beyond pink. I don't think it's the source, incidentally, since
> Quinacridone is a synthetic color & presumably all made in the same
> quinacridone factory. It's more likely how much they use vs. how much
> filler.
> Which goes to show another problem with the Wilcox book. He gave Rowney
> "Permanent Rose" a fine review, without noticing its lack of pigmenting
> power.
> J.
Which is another reason to get the Hilary Page Guide to Watercolor Paints
book. She has pix of each watercolor paint (1400) and you can compare their
relative strengths by looking at the water wash square next to her rating.
D Smith is much more intense.
     And I wanted to answer Joe S's letter about gum arabic and watercolor,
below: after I said my message below I realized I should have clarified
what I meant. One doesn't generally use gum arabic in watercolor, just as
one doesn't generally use ox gall to help spread the watercolor (kinda like
we
use Tween). Both are tools in painting but not used 100% like gum is in gum
printing. Thanks for clarifying that.
Chris