gloves

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/25/03-10:55:54 PM Z

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Vincent Dobson wrote:

> Although I drew tired of the punch, counter punch verbal warring concerning
> photo safety, I have learned from it.
>
> Without said warnings, I would have been the one to stick his naked hands
> into every liquid tried.

Vincent, you can't possibly be as tired of the "punch" as I am, but
there's a great deal more that must be said...Meanwhile, however, I've
been sensitized to the ISSUE if not the chemicals, and am here to tell you
that the LITERATURE on the subject is .... oh my, worse, worse, ALL of it,
than you could possibly believe.

Here's an extreme, but not an isolated case -- I was looking for something
else as it happens in an old BJP Almanac and came across this in a section
on "Developer Poisoning:" 1956... that's 20th century, within the lifetime
of many of this company....

The itching, dermatitis, sensitivity, etc. is described, with a cream
formula for "healing" -- but wearing gloves "is not recommended for use
over long periods, as there is danger of maceration of the epithelium."

Since my personal maceration of the epithelium is *avoided* by gloves, I
add a tentative answer to your question -- I suggest at least 3 types.
Where you want fine handling as in tray flipping negatives, get one of
those boxes of medical latex -- it works best because it leaves most
sensitivity & fine movement.

For general darkroom work, loose "platytex" type supermarket gloves, are
preferable, I find -- least uncomfortable (loose enough so the skin can
breathe) and easy on and off... After all in normal work you take them off
a lot -- to get a piece of paper out of the box, to write notes, or
whatever. For putting your hands in STRONG stuff, get the blue nitrile.
They're most impervious. But you don't need them for everyday & I find
them too uncomfortable for extended use.

Beautician type polyethelene also have their uses... they're weak, will
spring a leak fairly soon, but easy & quick on & off.

Dermatitis aside, the skin is a permeable membrane, & even if not, any
nick or cut will let the chemical directly into your bloodstream.

J.