Re: gum printing

From: Alberto Novo (alnovo@inwind.it)
Date: 02/26/03-04:29:18 AM Z

Another gum printer... but I am not only a gummist.
Just to add my cent:
my early prints, made with cheap acquerels, were very often stained, and I was able to have my first good print when I very finely grinded some charcoal. From that point on, I am using only powder pigments: earths, oxides (like chromium or iron oxides), and ceramic pigments (those used to paint on ceramics, resistant to the fire). I usually use these powders as 2 to 8% in a 40% gum solution, and 27% ammonium dichromate as sensitizer at 1:1 ratio.
As for bleaching, I prefer a simple overnight soak in tap water, and only in some cases a 0.1% sodium sulphite solution to which I add 10 ml of 10% sulphuric acid per liter (that is 0.1% sulp. ac.). This very efficient solution is acid and smells of sulpur dioxide, so it must be used outdoors.
I use to produce my negatives by multiple colour separation with Photoshop (this means about six to ten negatives), printing them on rough Fabriano Artistico.
You can see some of these images in http://spazioinwind.libero.it/albertonovo/index_eng.html , then choose "photography exhibitions> contests and collective exhibitions> 2001 collective exhibition, Vicenza".

With the colour separation I am able to modify the single colours as much as I like. For a realistic print I prefer a traditional cibachrome print...

Alberto