RE: gum printing

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/27/03-07:20:43 PM Z

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Keith Gerling wrote:

> I've tried many whites. In fact, I bought just about every white thing
> Pearl had: gouache, dry pigments, Createx, Mixol (I think, Mixol). Some of
> these produced very nice, dense layers. BUT, they turned gray when they
> dried. I tried many many coats. The gum layer didn't look transparent.
> In fact the black background was covered very nicely. The dried emulsion
> just turned gray, an observation driven home when I scraped it off the black
> aluminum and just LOOKED at it. BUT, it turned white again when it was
> dampened. Who knows? Anyway, I finally gave up.

I didn't have that with the Acryla titanium white, but did sort of with
the "chinese" (zinc) white... so I'm wondering if it might not be a
chemical reaction of the dichromate with the metal in the pigment. (I
believe all whites are METALS, which other pigments aren't, or not all,
and of course they're not white, so if they did go a bit grey you wouldn't
see it.)

I'm also wondering if the aluminum didn't have some kind of reaction with
the pigment. Did you try a clearing bath? I did notice that white
(anyway the zinc) seemed to take a yellow stain more readily than any
other printing I've done...

J.