fogging on negatives

From: Shannon Stoney (sstoney@pdq.net)
Date: 02/28/03-03:50:06 PM Z

I have been processing some 8x10 negatives that I made in December
and January on a trip to TN, and a lot of the images have fogging
around the bottom of the image, the bottom sides I should say.
Sometimes I think this is caused by the film holder not being seated
correctly in the camera back, so that the top of it protrudes a
little. I need to be more careful about that. But, how can I test
to see if any of the film holders are leaking?

Also, I never seemed to have this problem with the 4x5 camera. The
8x10 seems to have a tighter spring on the back so that it's harder
to push the film holder all the way down. Is this just because the
film holders are heavier so the spring has to be tighter? Also, the
fogging begins about 1/4" into the image. The very edges of the
image are ok.

--shannon