Re: Photographic censorship question

From: Thom Mitchell (tjmitch@ix.netcom.com)
Date: 02/28/03-12:20:22 PM Z

Dick, There's a book out featuring images that were cleansed or changed with
the changing times, can't remember the title but it featured multiple Stalin
images that changed over time reflecting who was in and then out of the
inner circle. More propaganda than censorship, but possibly relevant. A lot
of war photography books mention that the first Photographic censorship
occurred during the Crimean war preventing photos of the dead from being
taken. I am not sure if you want to include War photography in general
because as a subset access was/is controlled except notably in Vietnam.
Where access was fairly wide open allowing for many well know
photojournalists to make their mark as well as ending up dead. Journalism
texts and the Freedom of Information center might be good places to start
looking because Sunshine laws and the resulting access for photography.
Here's the link for FOI
http://www.missouri.edu/~foiwww/
    Also is it considered censorship to prevent a photographer from making
an image? If so than there are many more instances...
And I too would like to see the result of your scholarship. Thanks, Thom