Re: fogging on negatives

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@att.net)
Date: 02/28/03-02:36:43 PM Z

Shannon Stoney wrote:
> Also, I never seemed to have this problem with the 4x5 camera. The
> 8x10 seems to have a tighter spring on the back so that it's harder
> to push the film holder all the way down. Is this just because the
> film holders are heavier so the spring has to be tighter? Also, the
> fogging begins about 1/4" into the image. The very edges of the
> image are ok.

Another place to check for light leakage is where the bellows connects
to the camera box.
Again, a test can be made with camera in the sun.
In this case you may be able to remove the film holder and get under the
dark cloth and move the camera around.
The reverse may also work: place a light in the camera. Close up and
look at it in the darkroom.
Make sure to go through all the camera movements and extend the bellows.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/