Converting a camera to an enlarger

From: Bill Collins (photo@intrex.net)
Date: 01/01/03-11:59:17 AM Z

This is a bit off topic, but given some of the recent topics, I can't imagine anyone would mind.

I have been shooting 5x7 and 8x10 with the idea of making contact prints (either silver or alt), but I find images that I would like to enlarge.

My enlarger is an old Kodak precision that barely manages to do 4x5. I am thinking about making an enlarger back for my Kodak 2D 8x10 camera.

I think I can figure out how to make a negative carrier, but I'm not sure what to do about a light source. I have thought about mounting a light bulb in a white box and trying to find some diffusion glass (I wonder how even the light would be), or using the el panel from a junk laptop as a cold light source (I don't know if it would be bright enough, or if I could even remove it from the laptop in working order).

Any ideas?

Bill