RE: new year's resolutions, photographically speaking

From: Jeff Buck (jeffbuck@swcp.com)
Date: 01/01/03-10:13:31 PM Z

Jonathan: I've done a fair number of portraits in the past year w/ my 8x10
Deardorff, a big camera (actually, I'm doing 5x7s, but w/ reducing
back). The subjects are family, friends, and a couple times friends of
friends. I sure don't want to subdue anybody or overwhelm them w/ this big
strange camera. Kids seem indifferent. Adults sometimes seem a little
wide-eyed so I have taken a tip from I can't remember who and have shown
them how the camera works. Take the lens out and put it back. Get them
under the blanket for a look at the groundglass, the diffusing action of my
old Imagon portrait lens, etc. I haven't done this enough to venture a
confident assessment of the value, but the idea, as I gathered from some
article or other, is to make the subject forget him or herself in devoting
considerable attention to this grand old camera and all. I have hoped that
people will take the camera and the old-timey plain backdrop (and even some
portrait books of the Pictorial period I have around) as permission or
inspiration to show their dignity. I've succeeded beyond my hopes a couple
times in the maybe 18 months doing this and failed many times. I'm going
to keep doing it. -jb