Re: Imagery vs technique (was: Chuck Close Daguerreotypes too good?

FDanB@aol.com
Date: 01/04/03-05:36:15 PM Z

You said in your message...

>Many times I've been struck by a stunning repro in a magazine in
>monochrome, usually a shade of brown -- and look with the loupe, it's made
>in color.

Magazines are almost always printed in what's called "process color"
which uses cyan, magenta, yellow and black inks. To create the brown
monochromatic look they must use some combination of those four standard
inks.

Now take your loop to a fine magazine like Lenswork Quarterly and you'll
see two things that are different. The warmth in the reproductions comes,
not from four color inks, but from a black and a warm gray; the dots are
very tiny and random, not lined up like most offset printing. This
combination of duotone printing and stochastic output makes for stunning
reproductions.

For what it's worth,

Dan