Re: Paper for Platinum Printing

From: Clay (wcharmon@wt.net)
Date: 01/05/03-09:52:19 PM Z

Sandy:

Legion papers sent me a sample pack of papers to test the other day,
and I had a chance Friday to run some pd printing tests on three of the
papers that had close-to-neutral pH. I treated all of them with a 2%
oxalic acid dunk-and-dry prior to printing. All were done in pure
palladium with potassium oxalate at 120 degrees on a negative with
enough contrast to print without any restrainers. Here are the quickie
impressions:

1.Somerset 300 gsm - Very sharp with very warm smooth tones. Best
contrast and visual snap. Very comparable to Platine except for a
little more texture. ( Not an objectionable amount of texture, even
with a 5x7 print)

2. Pescia - muddy tones, low contrast and Dmax, Texture is nice, but
the print stunk compared to platine.

3. Lanquerelle 300 gsm - decent Dmax, very sharp print. Contrast a
little low, especially in the shadows.

Quick summary is that the Somerset is the only paper that gets close to
either Platine or Whatmans in a subjective evaluation of snap and
sharpness.

Clay