Re: Thomas Kinkade, Beyond the GArden GAte

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 01/06/03-02:07:02 PM Z

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Lisa Reddig wrote:

> On BBC 4 online last Friday I heard a story about Kinkade. One thing that
> stuck out was that the reason people buy them is not only because they want
> pretty pictures, but because they are sold as limited edition collectors
> items. You are buying them as an investment. They are supposed to grow in
> value. Just like those Mint Coin collectables.

I don't know about Mint Coin collectables, but I do know that Artpaper
from London once reported a study that said 85% of all art resold at LESS
than its initial price.

HOWEVER... know anything about Hummel plates? The old ones sell for VERY
large sums -- and they make Kincaid look like Rembrandt.

And what is that blue ceramic stuff out of Sweden or maybe it's Denmark?
The Little Mermaid? Cutesy animals? They're cast out of a mold and make
Kincaid look like VanGogh. The richest, most pompous relative in 5
generations of my extended family collects them.... for VERY high prices,
new.

As for fluorescent paintings... An artist at OK Harris gallery in Soho
(first gallery on West Broadway back in the '70s, early showcase for many
important artists and still always something wonderful to see) did
fluorescent painted cityscapes, maybe in the mid '70s, early '80s --
totally delightful. If you were lucky when you got there he was standing
in the door of the little room they were hung in and would flip the light
switch on and off.

Clearly Kinkaid's genius is in marketing, but he gets a two-fer when he
can epater the bourgeoisie at the same time. That is, this list is the
bourgeoisie for these purposes, and the lowbrow collectors are what -- the
proletariat? Well, whatever, I thought the single painting of his I saw
was charming.

Some folks cry about "the rules" of the artworld that make nasty stuff so
major. Seems to me that the only way you can not like Kincaid is because
you've learned, or actually internalized, ANOTHER set of rules.

Now imagine that you saw him at an "Outsider Art" show... Would that make
him better? Speaking of which, I do believe another Outsider Art show is
due next month at the Puck Building...The last couple weren't so great,
but still, not to be missed if possible.

Judy