Re: Thomas Kinkade, Beyond the GArden GAte

From: Lisa Reddig (lisa@julianrichards.com)
Date: 01/06/03-11:05:45 AM Z

> After looking at a lot of Nan Goldin and Joel Peter Witkin and
> Francis Bacon, something sweet and pretty is kind of a relief.
>
> --shannon

I wanted to add that I have just as much distaste for Goldin as I have for
Kinkade. Both make me want to puke, but for different reasons. But since
they cause the same reflex maybe they are more alike than it seems at first
glance.

On BBC 4 online last Friday I heard a story about Kinkade. One thing that
stuck out was that the reason people buy them is not only because they want
pretty pictures, but because they are sold as limited edition collectors
items. You are buying them as an investment. They are supposed to grow in
value. Just like those Mint Coin collectables.

Lisa