Re: what is art yet again?...tired (was: outsider art)

From: Sharon Steele (slowart@oz.net)
Date: 01/09/03-08:21:03 AM Z

Since I am new to this list and new to alternative photo processes, I have
found your discussions very interesting. These processes have opened up a
new world to me that I am looking forward to exploring. Regarding the
subject of "What is art?", I have a quote from another source that I find
revelant to the topic. It is from an interview with the physist John
Wheeler of Princeton (father of the Black Hole, by the way):

        "It was enormously impressive to me to see Bohr's courage in facing
up to what the great questions were. I can vividly
        remember him saying to me:

                'I must always seem to you like an amateur. But I am always
an amateur.'

        Of course, that is a very modest way of saying that one is a
pioneer, an explorer. If you are working on something new,
        then you are necessarily an amateur."

I found this quote to be reassuring.

Sharon S.