Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: Katharine Thayer (kthayer@pacifier.com)
Date: 01/10/03-04:40:09 PM Z

Alan Bucknam wrote:

> Katherine,
>
> In strict paper-making terms the "front" is always the felt, or
> smooth, side.

Okay, so what I'm understanding you to say here is that the "rule" that
says that to find the front side of the paper, you hold it so you can
read the watermark, is wrong. Because for many papers, the wire side is
the side that you can read the watermark correctly from.

But it seems like Alan is saying the smooth side is the felt side, Carl
that the smooth side is the wire side. I think it depends on the
definition of "smooth." If "smooth" means no screen pattern, then the
felt side is the smooth side; if "smooth" means a lack of bumps and
valleys in the surface, then the wire side is often smoother than the
felt side. Given a choice between the two, I have often opted for the
random hills and valleys rather than the regular screen pattern, which I
find truly objectionable.

As to how this relates to hot press v cold press, I work only with hot
press papers and have tested only hot press papers.

Katharine Thayer