Re: Felt vs Wire (was: Re: Stonehenge Paper)

From: John Glen (microcrystals2002@yahoo.com)
Date: 01/11/03-04:39:10 AM Z

Hi Katharine,

Which Arches paper did you use?

Arches comes in various colors and textures... the
white standard is availible in 3 surfaces Satine, Fin
and Torochon (satin, smooth and rough)I belive the
Water mark is right reading when the felt side faces
you...for Fin and Torochon, but not for Satine. (I
should have checked before I wrote...this is from
memory- but if I am wrong someone will step in and by
that time I will have returned home and can see my
samples.)

I have had poor results with Satine and now do not use
it. (I did, however, discover that it worked better
for me when I coated it on the back ie. "wrong"
side.which makes sense if the back is actually the
front.)I do not really recall off hand but I think
Satine is different in other respects, too. I think
the Fin and Torochon surfaces are cold pressed while
the Satine is Hot pressed.

What aspect of Arches made you turn away? Cost? It
sure is an expensive paper!

I have a video of their processing plant and how they
make it... perhaps I will take another look!

Also when looking for the front "felt" and back "wire"
sides, I would tend to think more "Organic" (random
pattern) vs. "Artifical" (regular grid pattern) rather
than "smooth" and "rough" sides. These later qualities
are determined more by other factors, after the paper
has been formed.

By the way, what process were you using Arches for?

JG